Friday, May 23, 2008

When the sun is in the west

In this near-ending month of May I have read two incredible works of fiction, both by the same author. They read like a good strong cup of coffee: bright and rich. I haven't traditionally been much of a fan of fiction, but I guess that's because I just haven't read many good fiction books. These books, though, had such intricately personal characters. And that's such a hard thing to do. I enjoyed these books because of the stories they told and for the way they were told. These books had more inspirational moments and left me with more to think about than many of the self-proclaimed Christian Inspiration books penned by out-of-touch-with-reality folks. (Leif Enger, the author of the two books mentioned above, is a much wiser choice)

But of course I dont just sit around all day and read. In fact, I only spend an hour or so a day doing that. So what else am I doing? Well for one thing I'm getting back into running shape. I'm dragging out my sneakers and spending time in the merciless heat in an effort to discipline my body. It's hard business.

And today I replenished my reading supply for the next month or so. here they are:

Watership Down - Richard Adams: it's supposedly a really epic story

Walking on Water L'Engle: I'm looking forward to this one. A book about faith and art

The Shack - WIlliam Young: i've heard its a good story, I hope so

The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis: I'm re-reading this classic book, taking notes, and am going to use it for some writing projects I have

The Book of the Dun Cow - Walt Wangerin: This book is similar to the Adams book, i've heard. I hope its good

Two more weeks in Texas then it's off to Birmingham for the rest of the summer

mark.

No comments: