Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Packing, Summer, and Steps

I. Packing up my stuff at the end of the year always reminds me of the uselessness of so much stuff that I own. Simplicity is something I'd like to strive for in my life. Not the kind of simplicity that is bare-bones, but the kind of simplicity which exhibits taste but not showiness. You know what I mean? I've always thought that the way Jesus taught us to live was to never become controlled by our stuff, but instead to be grateful for what we do have and realize that it is what it is: temporary stuff. All this packing up just puts a visual reminder to the principle of storing up treasures in Heaven, reminding me that life is about the more subtle things like relationships, love, and learning to forgive than it is about accumulating and having the right kind of stuff.

II. I am grateful to still have the presence of Summer in my life. I shudder when I think about the future when Summer becomes just another season. Summer to a student means a whole different thing than it does to the average citizen, and I'm just not ready to relinquish my enjoyment of Summer for another few years...

III. Life is a series of steps. Each chapter in the book has its own twists and turns, climaxes and new beginnings. I'm at the start of a fresh chapter, and i can't even begin to imagine the story that will emerge. I just want a grateful heart and thankful eyes as I experience whatever lies up ahead.

No comments: